Monday, June 21, 2010

Child's Mind

When i first saw that we were reading A Wrinkle in Time in this class I had mixed emotions: I was relieved and curious. Relieved because i had already read it in grade 5 and would have one less novel to attempt to finish in the short six weeks and curious because i quiet distinctly remember hating it the first time and wanted to know if id feel the same the second time around. Unfortunately, I kind of felt the same...

There is just something about this novel that bothers me. I remember being annoyed with the explanation of the time traveling when I was younger and again, as an adult reader, I was unimpressed. Not only was I disappointed with the authors explanation, i was also bored with the simplistic writing style. I find it interesting how sometimes with children's literature, authors tend to assume that the readers are not sophisticated enough to question their reasoning or plot lines or to deal with a more challenging vocabulary or writing style. The novels with the more complex plot lines, such as Harry Potter or The Golden Compass Series, and more advanced writing styles are the most successful. It is important to challenge young readers in order to encourage improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment